visa applications

How Do I Apply For A Visa To Visit The UK?

A travel visa is a document that gives conditional permission to a foreigner to stay in another country for a period. The UK visa application process is no different from that of many other countries. However, various steps make this visa application process different. Therefore, it is essential to know which actions you are required to take.

Do I Need A UK Visa?

The first step you should take in the UK visa application process is to find out if you need one. Depending on your nationality, you may be exempted from requiring a visa to enter the UK. For example, EEA, Swiss, and some Commonwealth citizens usually do not require a visa to enter the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland).

Which Visa Would I Need?

If you do not fall within the groups of citizens exempted from needing a visa to visit the UK, you would go-ahead to apply for one. Different visas are dependent on where you come from, why you want to come to the UK, how long you want to stay for and your circumstances and skills. First, however, you would need to be sure of the type of visa you need. A large part of the visa application process depends on your purpose for visiting the UK, as it would determine the type of visa you would need.

Here’s a list of UK visas you can choose from UK visits visas to immigration and marriage visas:

  • Standard Visitor Visa: This is for visitors who wish to enter the UK to visit friends and family, stay for a business trip or meeting, or enjoy a holiday.
  • Marriage Visitor Visa: This visa is required to get married in the UK or register a civil partnership.
  • UK Transit Visa: If you wish to pass through the UK in transit to another country, for example, if you have a layover between flights, you would need this visa.
  • UK Work Visa: This is for applicants wishing to move to the UK to work.
  • UK Study Visa: If you wish to study a course or enroll in a university in the UK, you would need this visa. However, this visa does not apply to short-term courses – you would need to apply for the UK short-term study visas. 
  • Other circumstances visa: There are Family Reunion Visas for refugees who have been separated from their families who live in the UK now. There are also other business visas for persons wishing to start up a company or invest in a UK company.

What Should I Do Next?

Now that you are sure of the type of visa you want, you can complete the online visa form. First, you would be asked to provide basic information. After which, you would be called for a short interview. However, if the information you provide doesn’t match up with other required documents, your visa application would be rejected. 

Contact Us Today

For more information and legal advice on this application process, contact Bond Adams at